Dodaj do ulubionych

FAQ about Poland :)

27.02.06, 11:55
Edytor zaawansowany
  • 01.03.06, 10:49
    You have been a busy bee wink
  • 01.03.06, 16:55
    Have I?smile Well, I get asked for this kind of stuff all the time, so it's just a
    question of putting in stuff from my 'favourites' folder. And if it helps
    anone, then it's fine by me.

--
    %%8 7 9 1%%
    On Her Majesty's Service
  • 01.03.06, 21:01
    Hi Folks,

Swell done nasza_maggie. Congrats re idea. I have a q, perhaps not quite a faq,
    but here goes....(pardon colloquialisms)..

But first a preamble by way of explanation - I'd like to settle "w kraju" & am a
    bit of a fresh/clean air fanatic. By that I mean - no fumes!! I intend to buy a
    property by spring next year. I've currently got a pied-a-terre in Cieplice (Jel
    Gora), overlooked by Karkonosze mountains, Sniezka etc...views to die for.
    But..but..but..Cannot open windows without being consumed by toxic fumes,
    especially in winter. It seems that Poles burn anything & everything that they
    can lay their hands on. I'm not "moaning", purely remarking. I understand the
    economic plight of the average Polish family.

I have no desire to live in the neat & tidy but characterless & sterile
    surroundings of a newly built suburb of Poznan or Wroclaw.

I value nature, the fresh outdoors, running, cycling but without breathing in
    carcinogenic substances. I'd also like to live within a reasonable distance of
    good shopping facilities.

So nasza_maggie & co-correspondents, any thoughts ? I'd like to limit myself to
    the west of Poland, rougly from the Frankfurt/Swiecko border crossing, down to
    about Klodzko. Within a belt of about 100km.

A propos "foreigners living in Poland". Hmmm...what am I ? Born in Germany of
    Polish parents, having lived in the UK. Recently spending more time in Poland.

My answer is simple..kto ty jestes ? Polak maly (chociaz od dawna dorosly). Jaki
    znak twoj ? Orzel bialy. Your home is where your heart is. My heart is in Poland.

Pozdrawiam wszystkich

• 01.03.06, 21:42
    jaciapa napisał:

> I'd like to limit myself to the west of Poland, rougly from the
    > Frankfurt/Swiecko border crossing, down to
    > about Klodzko.

Do you remember the quote from the film "Ogniem & Mieczem'..."Do Kijów!"? Well,
    actually, you don't have to travel that far, but come here to Galicja, in South-
    Eastern Poland. Forget about the West...go East my friend! smile

Best Regards,

Eugene
    Siemiechów, Poland
  • 02.03.06, 12:31
    jaciapa napisał:

> Hi Folks,
    >
    > Swell done nasza_maggie. Congrats re idea. I have a q, perhaps not quite a
    faq,
    > but here goes....(pardon colloquialisms)..
    >
    > But first a preamble by way of explanation - I'd like to settle "w kraju" &
    am
    > a
    > bit of a fresh/clean air fanatic. By that I mean - no fumes!! I intend to buy
    a
    > property by spring next year. I've currently got a pied-a-terre in Cieplice
    (Je
    > l
    > Gora), overlooked by Karkonosze mountains, Sniezka etc...views to die for.
    > But..but..but..Cannot open windows without being consumed by toxic fumes,
    > especially in winter. It seems that Poles burn anything & everything that they
    > can lay their hands on. I'm not "moaning", purely remarking. I understand the
    > economic plight of the average Polish family.
    >
    > I have no desire to live in the neat & tidy but characterless & sterile
    > surroundings of a newly built suburb of Poznan or Wroclaw.
    >
    > I value nature, the fresh outdoors, running, cycling but without breathing in
    > carcinogenic substances. I'd also like to live within a reasonable distance of
    > good shopping facilities.
    >
    > So nasza_maggie & co-correspondents, any thoughts ? I'd like to limit myself
    to
    > the west of Poland, rougly from the Frankfurt/Swiecko border crossing, down to
    > about Klodzko. Within a belt of about 100km.

If you want fresh air and beautiful lakes, then in Poland the best place will
    be Pomerania. If you are thinking about easy access to Germany, you will note
    that there is a good motorway link from Szczecin to the Berliner Ring.

In the region where you will see the palace for sale in my website there are
    numerous real estate opportunities, and you are likely to find the xact
    combination that you are looking for either in the area within shouting
    distance of Szczecin or near Koszalin or Kolobrzeg.

If you already have a south Poland pad, then the best second home would be
    something that contrasts that, and on the German motorways you can get from
    Szczecin down to the Karkonosze quicker by car than using the Polish roads,
    although the latter are of course more pleasing.

--
    - Uncle Davey's Homepage -
    :: Foreigners Living in Poland Forum
  • 02.03.06, 18:37
    I have heard that the NorthWest of Poland has the cleanest atmosphere. I have
    lived in Swiebodzin (between Poznan and the Polish/German border) and in Slupsk
    and Koszalin (near the coast) and can say that there are many beautiful places
    to be found in the NorthWest. Though I do love most of all Malopolska (in the
    South East - Krakow and the area to the East of Krakow)... Bon Voyage!
  • 02.03.06, 21:36
    Drodzy ! Dear Friends,

Many thanks to Eugene, uncle Davey & Marcus.

Eugene - go east my friend go east - , I've looked up Siemiechow. I'm sure it's
    a beautiful part of the country, albeit a way out.

Can you supply more details ? Par example, fumes or lack of (please excuse my
    almost pathological obsession re "clean air").

Also cost of housing (I don't mean to sound elitist - but I'm after a smallish,
    about 100sq m detached house). On this point, & I know it maybe somewhat uncouth
    to mention but I slaved all of my working life, hence I've earned it. Gosh
    enough of apologetics. I don't need to justify myself.

But, yes. Yes I do have a bit of a guilty conscience vis a vis our country folk,
    ie Poles. But that's another story. Perhaps another time.

Eugene, thank you for your response. Looking forward for more info. Cheers.

Now uncle Davey. Thank you for getting in touch.

(Sometime I'd welcome a one-to-one with yourself, Calvinist background ?, re
    beliefs..Jason Gastrich, Wikipedia goings on, sock puppets et al. But please no
    misunderstandings. My motto is : live & let live. Though a Catholic (ie me), I
    have the greatest admiration for Francis Collins of genome fame, a convert to
    Chrisianity - though a non-Catholic, shame but no problem, Episcopalist I think.
    His motto is..I quote.."belief in God is the most important organising principle
    in my life.") I admire his belief & I wish I had his strength of comittment...

Gosh, pardon the uncalled for diversion. Now back to your kind words of advice.

To date I've not considered north of Gorzow Wielkopolski. Now I will. Thank you.

Allow me to clarify my preference as per my 1st email. The majority of my
    partner's family live south west & north west of Wroclaw, including her elderly
    Mum. My family, ie Mum & siblings live in the vicinity of Hannover.

I feel that our Mums & Dads need to feel that they are loved & wanted. Hence the
    need for proximity, to help them out & to visit them & take care of them.

Uncle Davey, on a more "basic" front, any ideas of the cost of a detached modern
    property, max 100sqm, in the areas you suggested ?

Now...Marcus my thanks. I don't believe it !! Swiebodzin ?? I had a girlfriend
    there for 7 years (I'm no youngster - having taken early retirement after 30 yrs
    of financial management (in the UK). Please let me know more about Swiebodzin -
    I still have a very very soft spot for it !!!!

I see that you favour both Uncle Davey's & Eugene's suggestions. Please come off
    the fence & opt for one t'other.

Thank you & kind Regards to all of you,

Janek

• 03.03.06, 00:22
    > Now uncle Davey. Thank you for getting in touch.
    >
    > (Sometime I'd welcome a one-to-one with yourself, Calvinist background ?, re
    > beliefs..Jason Gastrich, Wikipedia goings on, sock puppets et al. But please
    no
    > misunderstandings. My motto is : live & let live. Though a Catholic (ie me), I
    > have the greatest admiration for Francis Collins of genome fame, a convert to
    > Chrisianity - though a non-Catholic, shame but no problem, Episcopalist I
    think
    > .
    > His motto is..I quote.."belief in God is the most important organising
    principl
    > e
    > in my life.") I admire his belief & I wish I had his strength of comittment...
    >
    > Gosh, pardon the uncalled for diversion. Now back to your kind words of
    advice.

A very fascinating diversion, I have to say.

I'm amazed that you caught up this quickly with the accusations these last
    couple of days that I sockpuppeted at Wikipedia.

Please read my rebuttal to Dr Day's accusation, and his subsequent gracious
    acceptance of my points here:

tinyurl.com/pjpnk
    Of course you are welcome to have a "one-on-one" anytime you like. My skype
    name is david.j.james

>
    > To date I've not considered north of Gorzow Wielkopolski. Now I will. Thank
    you
    > .

Pleasure. I'm always happy in Pomerania, and I like clean air also. The closer
    to the sea you get, the more you will not go short of needful iodine in the air
    also.

>
    > Allow me to clarify my preference as per my 1st email. The majority of my
    > partner's family live south west & north west of Wroclaw, including her
    elderly
    > Mum. My family, ie Mum & siblings live in the vicinity of Hannover.
    >

For Hannover, you could get there very quickly from Szczecin. The trick is to
    avoid rush hours on the Berliner Ring.

> I feel that our Mums & Dads need to feel that they are loved & wanted. Hence
    th
    > e
    > need for proximity, to help them out & to visit them & take care of them.
    >

Very good. But they will also benefit from visiting you nearer the sea.
    We don't have our parents for ever, so we should take all the opportunities we
    can to let them know we love them while we can.

> Uncle Davey, on a more "basic" front, any ideas of the cost of a detached
    moder
    > n
    > property, max 100sqm, in the areas you suggested ?
    >

You can still get that under 30,000 Euros, although you would need to spend
    another 10,000 to redo the Kitchen and 5000 on the bathroon and 5000 on sundry
    renovations.

I am talking about something nice. if you want to get a more ramshackle place
    and put your own work into it, then you could get it for significantly less.

--
  • 03.03.06, 00:35
    hello there jaciapa and welcome to Dave's forum!
    I am glad you could join us.

I am sure Eugene will be happy to fill you in on Siemiechow. He is good at
    it smile I think his pictures say it all. Not that I can smell things from here
    but I think the only fumes you'd have to worry about is after having too much
    beans or if you live next to smelly barn with a pile of cow manure stacked
    outside.
    I don't think it's the case.

smile
  • 07.03.06, 02:36
    I am too old for that but younger people like games. This site has BEAUTIFUL
    graphics. I am not sure if we have any people on Dave's forum that would like
    these kind of games. My older boys used to play this stuff a while back...both
    on the computer and later on playstation.
    Thanks for the suggestion smile ( I am sorry but I think I would be totally
    useless at "bitefight").

smile
  • 08.03.06, 09:32
    Incidentally, his ad got slashed by the admins. I see a line through it that I
    didn't put there. I think that means you can't see his ad here any more.

I was not gonna do that just yet. But obviously they got fed up of his
    spamming - he must have been doing it all over the shop.

If he wants people from here to use his site, he can spend 30 PLN a week on a
    paid link. Let him pick the group which best suits his purpose, and pay for his
    ad in an honest fashion. If he wants to have a paid ad here, I'd be perfectly
    happy about that. I'm always happy when people put the links at the top,
    because it means GW is getting something back for the space we use.

--
  • 09.03.06, 21:25
    Dear All,

Many thanks for wonderful & varied advice.

I'd like to express my thanks in particular to:

Brutt,Podlasie. Yes a beautiful neck of the woods - but unfortunately too far
    out - & the mosquitoes, they'd eat me alive !!

To Marcus - will you get back to me re Swiebodzin ?

To uncle Davey, yes I will explore ziemie zachodnio-pomorskie. & as you point
    out, a quick route to Hannover. A propos your property site (perhaps I
    misunderstood), all I could find was the "Palace". Have you got an actual site
    with property in the area ? To date, I've not considered buying a place to "work
    on". But I will - though I have some concerns about being taken for a ride, ie
    I've spent all my working life in an office environment. And have heard some
    horror stories, including reading fora in Gaz Wyb about Polish "cowboys" taking
    advantage of the uninitiated "foreigner".
    So any pointers in the right direction would be most welcome. By that I mean any
    trustworthy contacts.

To Eugene, you have really opened my eyes, widened my outlook. Your website's a
    dream. I'm sold !! Will you update the pics ? I'd like to see your house in its
    finished state.
    Unfortunately I'll have some persuading to do on a potential move to Malopolska.
    My partner Marysia doesn't want to be too far from her grown-up offsprings -
    Poznan & vicinity of Wroclaw.
    I've always harboured notions of owning my own plot of "land". You've achieved
    yours. Perhaps I'll drop you an email about practicalities, such as cost of land
    etc.

Kind Regards to all,

Janek
  • 09.03.06, 21:44
    jaciapa napisał:

> Dear All,
    >
    > To Eugene, you have really opened my eyes, widened my outlook. Your website's
    > a dream. I'm sold !! Will you update the pics ? I'd like to see your house in
    > its finished state.
    > Unfortunately I'll have some persuading to do on a potential move to
    > Malopolska.
    > My partner Marysia doesn't want to be too far from her grown-up offsprings -
    > Poznan & vicinity of Wroclaw.

Janek,

Here is my house in it's semi-finished state:

img460.imageshack.us/my.php?image=housefrost1a7lc.jpg
    Here is another, distant view:

img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=distantview1a3to.jpg
    You know, all of Europe is 'small'....I'm sure Małopolskie wouldn't be a
    problem for your partner if she loves you! smile

Cheers,

Eugene
    Siemiechów, Poland
    www.geocities.com/ejmarkow/siemiechow
  • 10.03.06, 23:56
    Czesc Janku!
    So where are you from originally?
    Well, Swiebodzin... In the summer of 2002, having completed teaching at summer
    language camps in Ostrowiec Swietokrzyski and Krosno (Podkarpackie), I took
    all my stuff on the train to a job i had arranged for myself at the YES School
    of English, ul. Sulechowska 15, Swiebodzin... As i sat in the open train door,
    smoking a Caro czerwone, and as the train drew closer, i imagined myself
    arriving in a land of chickens and apple trees ! Once in Swiebodzin, I was met
    by my new employer Mr P. and introduced to my landlord (next door to the school
    at no. 17) and his son Daniel. I was in Swiebodzin fr Sept to Dec 2002 (I was
    21yrs old then) and i did enjoy living there. I shall always remember Swiebodzin
    as the place of my first formal teaching job; my first flat (after university-
    which by the way i left to move to Poland); where i got my first car (a '79
    orange Maluch which was fun while it lasted- before being confiscated by police)
    ;and as the place where i met Natalia, whom after moving to Kosice, Slovakia,
    then Brussels, i returned to Poland for, though ending up in Slupsk and making
    a 6 or 7hr train journey there and back every weekend to be with... though that
    lasted merely a few months (distance too great)...
    Hope to hear from you soon Janek (in English albo po polsku, mi jest to samo)

Marcus.
  • 11.03.06, 14:02
    jaciapa napisał:

> Dear All,
    >
    > Many thanks for wonderful & varied advice.
    >
    > I'd like to express my thanks in particular to:
    >
    > Brutt,Podlasie. Yes a beautiful neck of the woods - but unfortunately too far
    > out - & the mosquitoes, they'd eat me alive !!
    >
    > To Marcus - will you get back to me re Swiebodzin ?
    >
    > To uncle Davey, yes I will explore ziemie zachodnio-pomorskie. & as you point
    > out, a quick route to Hannover. A propos your property site (perhaps I
    > misunderstood), all I could find was the "Palace". Have you got an actual site
    > with property in the area ? To date, I've not considered buying a place
    to "wor
    > k
    > on".

At the moment all I have is a palace, but if anyone else wants me to put their
    unusual real estate on my site or code a page for them and put it up, then
    that's no problem. I'll take 3% if it's me who sells it, nothing otherwise, and
    I don't demand exclusivity.

--
  • 20.03.06, 17:06
    Take a look at www.expatportal.pl
    You can post your classifieds for free, buy gifts and books in Expat Store,
    browse the Yellow Pages, send an e-card and more - enjoy!

Popularne wątki

Nie pamiętasz hasła lub ?

Zapamiętaj mnie

Nie masz jeszcze konta? Zarejestruj się

Nakarm Pajacyka
Agora S.A. - wydawca portalu Gazeta.pl nie ponosi odpowiedzialności za treść wypowiedzi zamieszczanych przez użytkowników Forum. Osoby zamieszczające wypowiedzi naruszające prawo lub prawem chronione dobra osób trzecich mogą ponieść z tego tytułu odpowiedzialność karną lub cywilną. Regulamin.