Dodaj do ulubionych

translations from hell

IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 24.10.02, 23:34
I gather that some of you have been trying to earn a living doing
translations. Tell us about the jobs from hell, the ones that kept you awake
in front of the computer all night, with useless dictionaries and no help
from anywhere. I'll contribute my share too.
Obserwuj wątek
    • gudrun Re: translations from hell 25.10.02, 12:15
      Gość portalu: nat napisał(a):

> I gather that some of you have been trying to earn a living doing
      > translations. Tell us about the jobs from hell, the ones that kept you awake
      > in front of the computer all night, with useless dictionaries and no help
      > from anywhere. I'll contribute my share too.

I don't get your point. How can anyone who knows a language have so many
      difficulties while translating? That means you are devoid of one feature that
      is essential for a good translator - a talent. There are plenty of useful
      dictionaries in the Polish book market. Not to mention on-line dictionaries.
      Even a person who doesn't know a language perfectly can manage a translation
      with the help of dictionary as long as they have a feeling for language.
      • Gość: nat Re: translations from hell IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 25.10.02, 12:42
        There are translations and translations, if you know what I mean. Feeling the
        language is one thing, knowing the subject matter is another. If you happen to
        have a deep knowledge of say literature or history and you are being offered a
        big fat cheque for translating into Polish something like a Manual for Poultry
        Processing Equipment then it's not very likely to be just a question of talent.
        You either decline the job and sizeable proceeds or put a mega effort in and
        take it on. I did this particular job in the early 80ties and believe me, the
        technical dictionaries on offer were loughable, and on-line help nonexistant.
        Some 300 plus pages, with graphs and tables took the best part of two months to
        complete. The final outcome was good but many a sleepless night were spent on
        trying to find Polish equivalents of machinery parts which would relate to this
        particular process rather than say, road building. By the end, I could almost
        smell the burning feathers by my computer screen. The job however paid for a
        new car so I guess I musn't grumble.
    • Gość: mgr Wypych To moron gudrun IP: *.nyc.rr.com 25.10.02, 14:19
      It was suggested that you must be an asshole. I strongly diagree with that
      assumption. You are certified moron, or better yet a mook.

This sentence has benn translated from Polish.
      "It does not depend to me at all what you will do, but you have to know it will
      swim on my intercourse to you."

Task: translate it back to Polish.
      • Gość: feran Re: translations from hell IP: *.txucom.net 28.10.02, 01:28
        Hi to everyone.

Re Diff.Translation.

I'm a great admirer of Patrick O'Brian.Author of 20 novels about life in Royal
        Navy during Napolenic wars.Considered by some as the greatest writer of
        historical novel in 20th century.

I do not know if any was translated and published in Poland.Translation would
        be very tough,need to know many nautical terms which probably do not exists in
        Polish.

4 mln books sold in US.Fox is making movie,budget 140 mln$,Rusell Crowe
        starring."The Far Side of the World"

First issue books are worth 600-700$.

The best title in series(for me)"The Nutmeg of Consolation".

Anybody interested in topic?

• gudrun Re: translations from hell 30.10.02, 13:08
      I unclog mu nose towards you, sons of a window dresser. I wave my private parts
      at your aunties, you brightly-coloured, mealy-templed, cranberry-smelling,
      electric donkey-bottom biters! I fart in your general direction! ROMANI ITE
      DOMUM (one hundred times)
        • gudrun Re: translations from hell 30.10.02, 15:07
          I'm not an internet addict and have much more interesting things to do than
          waiting for the posts. As for the asshole, you may kiss me straight there
          though I'm sick at the thought. Fags should't be allowed here.
          • Gość: mishy Fags IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:10
            ouch, don't!
            We luv all sorts here, boys, girls, in-betweens and anally obsessed pervs
            of any kind we embrace.
            We embrace all fans of nether & other orifices and all fetish is welcome.
            Indulge!
            but please, please do not solicit, now that we will not tolerate.
            Should a need arise on your side there's plenty of other certified
            establishments that will provide for a small fee.
          • Gość: mishy Fags IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:12
            ouch, don't!
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
          • Gość: mishy Fags IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:13
            ouch, don't!
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
          • Gość: mishy Fagots? Ouch, don't! IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:17
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
            Should a need arise on your side, there's plenty of other certified
            establishments that will provide for a small fee, youuuuuu naaaaasteee
            little boy, you!
          • Gość: mishy Fagots? Ouch, don't! IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:19
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
            little boy, you!
          • Gość: mishy Fagots? Ouch, don't! IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:29
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
            little boy, you!
          • Gość: mishy Fagots? Ouch, don't! IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:33
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
            little boy, you!
          • Gość: mishy Fagots? Ouch, don't! IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:36
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
            little boy, you!
          • Gość: mishy Fagots? Ouch, don't! IP: webcacheH* / *.cougar.dialup.pol.co.uk 02.11.02, 14:36
            of any kind we embrace.
            Indulge!
            little boy, you!
          • gudrun Re: Massa gudrun = mook 31.10.02, 08:20
            Gość portalu: mgr Wypych napisał(a):

> Apparently there is nobody more knowledgeable than gudrun.
            > At this very moment I have to give up.
            > No matter what you write he has got a ready answer loaded with expletives.
            > He is an asshole.
            >
            said A Snivelling Little Rat-Faced Git. At this very moment, apparently, lack
            of any other vocabulary than extremely sophisticated expression "asshole" you'd
            better give up, you great poovy po-nagger.
            • Gość: nat Re: Massa gudrun = mook IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 31.10.02, 09:24
              So, gudrun has emerged. It's true then what they say abou bile eventually
              floating up to the top. We all know the type well: a sad individual, who when
              unable to substantiate his side of an argument with logical evidence, resorts
              to violent abuse directed at those who dare questioning his opinions. Pig
              headed moron with high level expertise in gutter vocab. Is that where the yob
              resides when he has better things to do than attend the forum? Admit it mate,
              you have lost this one. Generally, sounds like you've lost it big way.
              • gudrun Re: to all weevils and nasty maggots 31.10.02, 11:23
                This sketch is definitely too silly. I wasn't "violently abusive" (sounds even
                more silly)in my first post. It was enough to nip out for a few hours to
                receive a series of replies from white-feathered slimy trollopes. But as they
                say: "Nobody expects Spanish Inquisition" Now, anyone say something that makes
                sense or.....( I wouldn't like to use gutter language)
                    • Gość: Wojtek Re: to all repentant gurun (?) IP: *.abo.wanadoo.fr 31.10.02, 13:53
                      nat,
                      have you done other than 'Poultry...' translations, less technical more general
                      or even literary ones?

gudrun,
                      anyone who had a go at translating knows that it is a skill in its own right
                      and requires more than a good dictionary. If you want to contribute something
                      here , you are welcome... but stop this abuse hurling. It is demeaning. To
                      yourself mmostly.
                      • gudrun Re: to all repentant gurun (?) 31.10.02, 14:31
                        Gość portalu: Wojtek napisał(a):

> nat,
                        > have you done other than 'Poultry...' translations, less technical more
                        general
                        >
                        > or even literary ones?
                        >
                        > gudrun,
                        > anyone who had a go at translating knows that it is a skill in its own right
                        > and requires more than a good dictionary. If you want to contribute something
                        > here , you are welcome... but stop this abuse hurling. It is demeaning. To
                        > yourself mmostly.
                        Sorry, but it wasn't me to start this "abuse hurling". When I expressed my
                        opinion politely, the responces were no less abusive than my posts sent later.
                        I would even dare to say that mine were high above. As Oscar W. would say, if
                        they were well written, their content is not of as big importance.
                      • Gość: nat Re: To Wojtek & the weirdo IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 31.10.02, 14:43
                        To Wojtek

In the days before western business opened offices in Poland there had been a
                        lot of money to be made from English/Polish and Polish/English translation
                        here. Not one to say no to attractive financial rewards, I accepted and
                        carried out a variety of jobs: legal documentation, to do mostly with
                        reclaiming estates confiscated after the war; technical documentation for
                        various projects submitted to Polish authorities; advertising for confectionary
                        companies; information literature for satellite TV; Polish Youth Culture script
                        for British independent TV programme makers. These are the few that spring to
                        mind.
                        Sadly, I have never done any real literary translations apart from a book by a
                        Polish faith healer, which was pure rubbish in any language.
                        Since my contacts with Poland are close to non-existent and my family here
                        don't speak a word of Polish, in the recent years I have given up on attempting
                        to translate anything into Polish. In my opinion our native language has
                        changed far too much, incorporated so much vocabulary from other languages that
                        it has become hard for me to feel what sounds right and what doesn't. Trying to
                        come through as coherent has become increasingly difficult.

To gudrun
                        Well, you really are a waste of space by sound of everything you have so far
                        revealed about yourself. Go and bury your head somewhere deep and return, if
                        you must, once mature enough to handle adult exchange of opinions.
                      • Gość: nat Re: To Wojtek & the weirdo IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 31.10.02, 14:52
                        To Wojtek

In the days before western business opened offices in Poland there had been a
                        lot of money to be made from English/Polish and Polish/English translation
                        here. Not one to say no to attractive financial rewards, I accepted and
                        carried out a variety of jobs: legal documentation, to do mostly with
                        reclaiming estates confiscated after the war; technical documentation for
                        various projects submitted to Polish authorities; advertising for confectionary
                        companies; information literature for satellite TV; Polish Youth Culture script
                        for British independent TV programme makers. These are the few that spring to
                        mind.
                        Sadly, I have never done any real literary translations apart from a book by a
                        Polish faith healer, which was pure rubbish in any language.
                        Since my contacts with Poland are close to non-existent and my family here
                        don't speak a word of Polish, in the recent years I have given up on attempting
                        to translate anything into Polish. In my opinion our native language has
                        changed far too much, incorporated so much vocabulary from other languages that
                        it has become hard for me to feel what sounds right and what doesn't. Trying to
                        come through as coherent has become increasingly difficult.

To gudrun
                        Well, you really are a waste of space by sound of everything you have so far
                        revealed about yourself. Go and bury your head somewhere deep and return, if
                        you must, once mature enough to handle adult exchange of opinions.
                        • gudrun Re: To nat 31.10.02, 15:13
                          Didn't mean to confuse you so much. I know this type: not so young, with
                          inferiority complex (no wonder). You should be more knowledgeable, dear "adult"
                          The world is unfortunetaly full of grown-up twits. Don't bother to answer. You
                          have no chance.
                          • Gość: To gurun Re: To nat IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 31.10.02, 15:34
                            Isn't it just what you would like? In your quality spare time why don't you
                            target nursery rhymes - 'sticks and stones ...' to you dear. And what is it
                            that you REALLY had to say, on anything at all, you oh so young, beautiful and
                            and of intellect so superior to ...reptiles? Lonely planet, isn't it. Get a
                            grip and have a think. It will hurt initially but the process might just grow
                            on you; and given time, who knows ... you might even come up with something
                            worth saying. Fingers crossed!
                            • Gość: nat Re: GURUN_BRAT IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 31.10.02, 15:37
                              Gość portalu: To gurun napisał(a):

> Isn't it just what you would like? In your quality spare time why don't you
                              > target nursery rhymes - 'sticks and stones ...' to you dear. And what is it
                              > that you REALLY had to say, on anything at all, you oh so young, beautiful
                              and
                              > and of intellect so superior to ...reptiles? Lonely planet, isn't it. Get a
                              > grip and have a think. It will hurt initially but the process might just grow
                              > on you; and given time, who knows ... you might even come up with something
                              > worth saying. Fingers crossed!

Sorry for confusion. That was in fact from me (NAT) to DEAR GURUN-BRAT
                          • Gość: mgr Wypych mook is a gal IP: *.nyc.rr.com 31.10.02, 15:47
                            Hallo everybody, excluding gudrun.
                            So now you know how stupid, ignorant and unintelligent you are.
                            You bunch of tweets. I told you before not to measure up to gudrun. You stand
                            no chance as her vocabulary is superior to yours and mine.
                            Some of us called him an asshole and that was wrong. Gudrun is an aging,
                            sexually unsatisfied woman with raging hormonal imbalance. Therefore she is a
                            cunt.
                            I’m better off talking to my dog.
                            Signing off
                            Mgr Wypych

PS. I am imposing ban on myself. I ain’t talking to gudrun no more.

• Gość: nat Re: IT ALERT IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 31.10.02, 16:52
                                Raging hormonal imbalance - you'e put your finger on it. It explains
                                irrationality on vast scale. Tried treatment? Padded cage with no internet
                                connection would be a blessing. All you blokes out there - do you really
                                believe IT is a female form of life? At ITS earliest stage of evolution? And
                                did IT originate from good old Poland? Bialowieza perhaps? Sorry bisons, didn't
                                mean to be nasty.
                                • lolita_lolita Re: gudrun is a cunt 31.10.02, 17:04
                                  all right. I would say that she is not the aging one as mgr. suggests. Just
                                  look at her production so far. This looks like 16 to 17 year old at work.
                                  There is a one particular twit from IP* sympatico.ca that comes to mind.
                                      • Gość: nat Re: TO ERWAS THE WISE IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 01.11.02, 09:42
                                        Erwas, you come through as a sensible sort of person butI think you are being a
                                        bit unfair here. I started a genuine topic to find out about people's
                                        experiences with translating. I didn't get on a high horse and rage in response
                                        to the flippant reaction. The events were kidnapped somewhere along the line,
                                        well away from the subject matter intended, and turned into what it has now
                                        become. Well, people do react to stupidity. It needn't be a spat if some
                                        control over the use of vocabulary could be exercised. Not a fault you can put
                                        at my door.
                                        • Gość: Wojtek Re: Translatios from Parnas IP: *.abo.wanadoo.fr 01.11.02, 11:04
                                          OK,OK, chill it - it started with my employment of a compound word
                                          meaning 'osla dziura', its ironic ambiguity invited more of the same and
                                          Wacko's heavy artillery made it into the war...
                                          Apologies and kisses all around, brothers and sisters. Contribute to the
                                          topic, which is translation. BTW, Maciej Slomczynski translated the sentence in
                                          question thus: 'Jak sie ma twoj przewod gowienny?' You can find it in his
                                          Polish translation of J. Joyce's "Ulysses".

Regards, my lovlies.
                                          • Gość: nat Re: Translatios from Parnas IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 01.11.02, 11:54
                                            There you are, your intentions were serious and honourable all along but got
                                            misconstrued in the heat of proceedings. Bless you and your diplomatic skills!

Back to translation. It's absolutely brilliant! Undoubtedly a sign of a good
                                            translator. He obviously knows James Joyce very well and understands
                                            his 'stream of consciousness' prose. In the context of Ulysses, I would be hard
                                            pushed to translate the phrase into Polish and would, most probably, fail
                                            miserably. In fact, having read it in English at uni, I now feel very tempted
                                            to find a Polish copy, just to see how the text has been dealt with and how it
                                            reads. I imagine, it must be one of the hardest literary texts to handle.
                                            Thanks Wojtek, it was a treat. Any more where this one came from?
                                            Have YOU done any serious translating?

Hear! Hear! Back to peace on the web.
                                            • Gość: Wojtek Re: Translations IP: *.abo.wanadoo.fr 01.11.02, 12:43
                                              Thank you, dear, for kind words and appreciation of my mediative skills.
                                              And no, I'm afraid, I haven't got any more of the same caliber, but knowing you
                                              are hell bent on difficult ones, I'll leave you with these few for now (it will
                                              also be a kind of punishment for Mgr with his pro-war stance and B-shite
                                              leanings): "Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better."
                                              "We are making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end." "And one
                                              of the things to make sure that we do is anything."
                                              In the meantime I'll search for my Beckett.
                                              • Gość: nat Re: Translations IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 01.11.02, 13:03
                                                Where on earth do you find them? All quoted gems are hilarious. You wouldn't
                                                have fished them out from the speeches by the current president of the greatest
                                                country on earth? Feels like I'll have to intensify my efforts to to find
                                                something to amuse you.
                                                In the meantime, again from my favourite publication on Polish cuisine,(just so
                                                that you are aware of context) - would you guess what they mean under the
                                                cryptic description of 'topping polonaise'?. Don't salivate yet.
                                                • Gość: erwas I say... IP: 12.96.204.* 03.11.02, 00:24
                                                  ...steady-on old girl, or I'll take my profuse apologies back.

erwas

Gość portalu: nat napisał(a):

> Well, unfortunately the last delivery of posts comes from some other sad case
                                                  > screaming for recognition from wilderness. How does one spread pesticide on
                                                  the
                                                  >
                                                  > net? Sounds like this thread has been now killed off.
                                                • Gość: mishy Re: Translations IP: webcacheH* / *.chameleon.dialup.pol.co.uk 03.11.02, 16:19
                                                  Dear Nat,
                                                  Are you refering to the 5-fold technical fault overposting, or to the previous
                                                  gentlemen's premature ejaculation of " libelous, defamatory, obscene,
                                                  pornographic, abusive, violent, bigoted and hate-oriented" content?

yours from the woods
                                                  mishy

quoted:

"Well, unfortunately the last delivery of posts comes from some other sad
                                                  case screaming for recognition from wilderness. How does one spread
                                                  pesticide on the net?"

Thank you for being here today. That's how. Z z z z z , the sun is calling me.
                                                  Buzzing off back to the blossoming meadows...
                                                  • Gość: nat Re: Translations IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 03.11.02, 19:25
                                                    It was my thread to start with but feel I'm being stitched up here. I have been
                                                    awarded a personal watchdog in erwas who suffers gladly rudness and stupidity
                                                    of others but takes it upon himself to bring me in line with his moral
                                                    guidelines every time I dare to digress from the main topic. Swearing is fine
                                                    but sarcasm appears hard to handle. And how many people did actually say
                                                    anything on the subject of translations?
                                                    As for the photos Wojtek, nudity is not in season here right now, but should
                                                    you reside in sunnier climes then perhaps you could oblige - though beware of
                                                    the fallout.
                                                  • Gość: nat Re: Translations IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 03.11.02, 22:21
                                                    Wojtek, my lovely; not so much tired as exhausted. Don't know anymore what it's
                                                    all meant to be about. Maybe ought to sleep on it before foot-in-the mouth
                                                    strikes again. Your Christian efforts of reconcilliation and peace for all are
                                                    highly appreciated but even you are not able to kick start sensible
                                                    conversation with that lot. As for me, I'm ready for a Bacardi Breezer or two.
                                                    Take care.
                                                  • Gość: Wojtek Re: Translations IP: *.abo.wanadoo.fr 05.11.02, 18:20

... yer translators, I've got something for ya.. . Short but tough and with an
                                                    Irish angle. As I was not able to find a copy of Beckett's "Watt"
                                                    unfortunately, I am quoting from memory, ok? But first a little 'feel of the
                                                    land'. Watt is employed as a man-servant in Mr Knott's House. There are other
                                                    employees, of course, and one is an Irish gardener, Mr X (can't remember his
                                                    name). It is one of Watt's duties to offer a bottle or two of stout to Mr X
                                                    about lunch-time. On one occasion, Mr X, under pressure of Watt's questioning
                                                    gaze, feels necessary to protest, saying:
                                                    "It's only me turd or fart."

Try to render that in Polish.
                                                  • Gość: nat Re: Translations IP: *.in-addr.btopenworld.com 05.11.02, 21:47
                                                    Woytek, I knew you'd come up trumps! Another tough one it is indeed. Well, I
                                                    could deride vulgarity of the quotation, hide behind a veil of decency and
                                                    refuse to put it into our ancestral speake. But I won't. The truth is that
                                                    right now, I have no idea how to say in Polish so that it retains the original
                                                    ring.
                                                    You see, I have been to Oxbridge (to answer your earlier query), but mostly on
                                                    the open top double decker. AAAHHH ...
                                                  • Gość: Wojtek Re: Translations IP: *.abo.wanadoo.fr 07.11.02, 15:11
                                                    Couple of days passed, indeed. I was hoping for some bravado, some unexpected
                                                    twists and thunders... Try, try again...

(Forget about the 'toilet' aspect of it. Its briliance for me consisted in the
                                                    fact that I could actually 'hear' an Irishman speak, first of all. There are
                                                    funny regional accents, phrases in Polish, aren't there.) Come on!

Popularne wątki

Nie pamiętasz hasła

lub ?

Nie masz jeszcze konta? Zarejestruj się

Nakarm Pajacyka