Having fun with English
Non-English speaking countries sometimes go out of their way to communicate
with their English-speaking tourists:
1. Cocktail lounge, Norway: Ladies are requested not to have children in
2. Tourist agency, Czechoslovakia: Take one of our horse-driven city tours
We guarantee no miscarriages.
3. At a Budapest zoo: Please do not feed the animals.
If you have any suitable food, give it to the guard on duty.
4. Hotel, Zurich: Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the
in the bedroom, it is suggested that the lobby be used for this purpose.
5. In the lobby of a Moscow hotel across from a Russian Orthodox monastery:
welcome to visit the cemetery where famous Russian and Soviet composers,
and writers are buried daily except Thursday.
6. Doctor's office in Rome: Specialist in women and other diseases.
7. A laundry in Rome: Ladies, leave your clothes here and spend the
a good time.
8. In a Nairobi restaurant: Customers who find our waitresses rude ought to
9. On the grounds of a Nairobi private school: No trespassing without
10. Information booklet about using a hotel air conditioner. Tokyo: Cools
If you want condition of warm air in your room, please control
11. In a Tokyo bar: Special cocktails for the ladies with nuts.
12. Hotel, Japan: You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid.
13. In a Japanese cemetery: Persons are prohibited from picking flowers
but their own graves.
14. Advertisement by a Hong Kong dentist: Teeths extracted by the Latest
15. The box of a clockwork toy made in Hong Kong: Guaranteed to work
its useful life.
16. Advertisement for donkey rides, Thailand: Would you like to ride on
your own ass?
17. In Aamchi Mumbai restaurant: Open seven days a week, and weekends too.
18. Airline ticket office, Colombo: We take your bags and send them in all