Dodaj do ulubionych

Nowa wojna?

02.06.07, 16:51
DEBKAfile - We start where the media stop
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEBKAfile Exclusive: US forces transfer Iraqi Kurdistan’s security
responsibility to local peshmerga to sidestep threatened Turkish invasion

June 1, 2007, 6:10 PM (GMT+02:00)

The heavy Turkish military buildup on the border of Iraqi Kurdistan last week
prompted the autonomous region’s president, Massoud Barzani, to send a
personal emissary, Safin Dizai, to Ankara with an urgent message.

Turkish tanks would not be allowed to cross into northern Iraq, he said. The
Kurdish army known as peshmerga would repel them. “The people of Kurdistan,“
said the messenger, “would not stand by as spectators if Turkish tanks and
panzers entered Kirkuk.” And finally, “Turkey also knows that a military
incursion is out of the question. The world will not allow this. The US is
here and does not want it.”

The Kurdish leader had his answer Thursday, May 31, when Turkish chief of
staff Gen. Yasar Büyükanıt declared his army was ready for incursion into
northern Iraq. "There is not only the PKK in northern Iraq,” he said. “There
is Massoud Barzani as well"

This incursion unheeding of strains with Washington would have two
objectives, according to DEBKAfile’s military sources: To prevent the rise of
an independent Kurdish state in northern Iraq and the fall of the oil town of
Kirkuk into Kurdish hands. “Turkey cannot afford an independent Kurdish state
headed by Barzani on its southern border,” said Gen. Büyükanıt.

Our sources add that Ankara has dramatically broadened its objectives since
early May, when the Turks talked about a limited strike against separatist
PKK hideouts in the Kandil mountains of N. Iraq. At the same time, as DEBKA-
Net-Weekly 294 revealed on March 23, 80,000 Turkish troops were concentrated
already then at Sirank, opposite the meeting point of the Turkish, Iraqi and
Syrian borders.

A bombing in downtown Ankara earlier this month killed six people and injured
more than a hundred. The PKK was blamed.

Sunday, May 27, US Secretary of state Condoleezza Rice and Turkish foreign
minister Abdullah Gul discussed the possible outbreak of Turkish-Kurdish
hostilities. Immediately after the conversation, the US military command
began its preparations. Washington decided its first priority must be to
avoid a military clash between US forces stationed in Kurdistan and invading
Turkish units. No time was lost. May 30, US commanders and Barzani signed a
document transferring security responsibility for the region from coalition
forces to the Kurdish peshmerga. American troops were hurriedly pulled out of
the Kurdish towns of Irbil, Dohuk and Suleimaniyeh, but remain in force in
and around Kirkkuk.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

Copyright 2000-2007 DEBKAfile. All Rights Reserved.
Obserwuj wątek
    • dodecahedron Re: Nowa wojna? 02.06.07, 18:04
      Czy Kurdyjczycy są dla Was Żydów taką samą solą w oku jak Palestyńczycy?
      • j-k bzdury. 02.06.07, 18:42
        dodecahedron napisał:
        > Czy Kurdyjczycy są dla Was Żydów taką samą solą w oku jak Palestyńczycy?

        Przeciwnie. Przeciez Kurdystan oslabiajac Irak i Iran bylby w Interesie Izraela.
    • mosze_zblisko_daleka Re: Nowa wojna? 07.06.07, 06:25
      Another Middle East war erupts Wednesday as 50,000 Turkish troops launch
      operation against Kurdish PKK bases, several thousand crossing into N. Iraq

      June 6, 2007, 9:25 PM (GMT+02:00)

      The official Turkish news agency Cihan reports the force, backed by armored
      vehicles and combat aircraft, is targeting rebel strongholds in 11 provinces in
      southeastern Turkey and Iraqi Kurdistan Wednesday, June 6.

      White House officials speaking from the G8 summit in Germany said there was “no
      new activity” from Turkish troops in northern Iraq. Military HQ in Ankara
      declined to confirm or deny that Turkish troops had entered Iraq.

      DEBKAfile’s military sources report that this is only the first wave of Turkish
      invaders, with more to come. A Turkish force of 90,000 troops has been massed
      at the sourthern town of Sirank opposite the meeting point of the Turkish,
      Iraqi and Syrian borders, drawing a warning to Ankara from US defense secretary
      Robert Gates to stay out of Iraq.

      June 2, DEBKAfile reported that the US had removed troops from northern Iraq
      and passed responsibility for the region’s security to the Iraqi Kurdish
      peshmerga.

      Two days ago, Kurdish PKK rebels killed at least 8 soldiers, wounding 6, in a
      suicide attack on an E. Turkish checkpoint at Tunceli.

      After the attack, Turkish foreign minister Abdullah Gulf defended his country’s
      right to drive into neighboring Iraq to destroy rebel bases.

      Up to 3,500 separatists are believed based in northern Iraq poised for hit-and-
      run terrorist attacks in Turkey. The Turkish news agency reports three F-16
      Falcon fighter bombers have carried out bombing raids on positions of the PKK
      Kurdistan Workers Party in northern Iraq. Artillery deployed at the border with
      Iraq has fired at pinpointed targets.”

      DEBKAfile’s Iraq sources reported last week that Iraqi Kurdistan’s president,
      Massoud Barzani, had sent a personal emissary, Safin Dizai, to Ankara with an
      urgent warning. Turkish tanks would not be allowed to cross into northern Iraq,
      he said. The Kurdish peshmerga would repel them. “The people of Kurdistan,“
      said the messenger, “would not stand by as spectators if Turkish tanks and
      panzers entered Kirkuk.”



      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Copyright 2000-2007 DEBKAfile. All Rights Reserved.

Nie masz jeszcze konta? Zarejestruj się


Nakarm Pajacyka