Dodaj do ulubionych

"Protect our planet...

23.05.06, 21:04
it is the only one with chocolate!" wrote an American friend of mine.
I think it makes sense.

Ervin

Thebartiski.blogspot.com
Obserwuj wątek
    • ja_karola Re: "Protect our planet... 24.05.06, 01:10
      Seriously though. James Lovelock, the godfather of environmentalism, writes in
      his last book ("The Revenge of Gaia: Why the Earth Is Fighting Back - and How
      We Can Still Save Humanity.") that the destruction we've inflicted on our
      planet is so advanced that at this point governments should be designing
      emergency plans on how to handle all the more frequent natural disasters. One
      tragic case scenario would be, for instance, massive flooding wiping out say
      Bangladesh. What with the millions of migrants suddenly fleeing to
      neighbouring India?

Things are not looking up! Even Al Gore is dedicating his life to raising
      awareness. An interesting documentary entitled "An Inconvenient Truth" and
      starring Dubbya's antithesis is about to come to theatres near you...
      • bartis_ervin Re: "Protect our planet... 24.05.06, 07:05
        > Things are not looking up! Even Al Gore is dedicating his life to raising
        > awareness. An interesting documentary entitled "An Inconvenient Truth" and
        > starring Dubbya's antithesis is about to come to theatres near you...

Al Gore is environmentalist to the extent that he did not mention anything
        related to the topic because his advisers told him it would not win him any
        votes in the presidential race.

Maybe James Lovelock is right. There are dangers at every corner, since in the
        last century we screwed up quite many things. The other day I was reading that
        the waters of Black Sea below 200m are poisoned with hydrogen sulphide. If
        something happens with the normal balance, and the hydrogen sulphide comes up to
        the surface, a couple of milion people might die along the coast.

Honestly, I don't really like the Armagedon scenarios. Nevertheless, they might
        be realistic.

Ervin

Thebartiski.blogspot.com
        • ejmarkow Re: "Protect our planet... 24.05.06, 08:36
          When I first came to see my property in June, 2002, there was quite a bit of
          cleaning up to do, environmentally speaking. In my back yard, about 50 pairs of
          old shoes and boots were partially sunken into the ground. Under many of my
          birch trees, there were some bottles, cans, glass, and pieces of metal. Where
          once stood the old stable, there was a makeshift waste disposal area littered
          with various items, above and below the ground. In my forests where half the
          village searches for mushrooms, many plastic bottles, bags, and containers were
          scattered around. The house and property remained vacant for over 20 years
          which partially explains the litter problem. I cleaned up everything since
          then, and maintain it's ecology quite well. There are still building materials
          that are on my property which require some repositioning. The main problem I
          see here are that some locals habitually throw their beer cans, bottles,
          wrappers, and tissues on the roads, paved and unpaved. Once per month, I walk a
          length of 1 km down my unpaved road with a bucket in hand, picking up any
          noticeable trash. A larger problem is some trash in our local stream, 1 1/2 km
          from my home. I once suggested to the local authority to dedicate one day for
          volunteers in this village to clean up the stream and other areas. The gmina
          would have to provide gloves and trash bags for this, and volunteers would be
          needed. Unfortunately, the idea was played down and never implemented. The
          public school does hold such an clean-up day around the school and church while
          the rest of the village is neglected. Overall, it's nice and clean here, but
          more can be done to improve it. Perhaps in the future it will become a reality.
          I'm glad others here on this forum appreciate a clean environment.
          • varsovian Re: "Protect our planet... 24.05.06, 13:39
            Gmina Michałowice, just west of Warsaw, refuses to ensure that all residents
            have a refuse disposal contract. Thus, as it's optional, the dirty burghers do
            what comes naturally to them.
            Coercion is what's needed, not persuasion.
            The situation will get worse, as the govt will force businesses to pay more for
            their waste disposal - thereby encouraging them to dump in forests etc.
            • ejmarkow Re: "Protect our planet... 24.05.06, 16:33
              varsovian napisał:

> Gmina Michałowice, just west of Warsaw, refuses to ensure that all residents
              > have a refuse disposal contract. Thus, as it's optional, the dirty burghers
              > do what comes naturally to them.

My gmina (Gromnik) implemented private waste disposal six months ago. I signed
              up for it and pay about 100 zloty per year. A firm in Tarnów operates this
              service. I must segregate all types of refuse (plastics, paper, glass, metal,
              etc) into various colored bags, which is a good thing. I assume those items are
              going to be recycled. This is a good sign for things to come. Still, it is too
              costly for some individuals.

> Coercion is what's needed, not persuasion.

How does one convince them, call the Pruszków gang in Warsaw?
              smile

> The situation will get worse, as the govt will force businesses to pay more
              > for their waste disposal - thereby encouraging them to dump in forests etc.

Instead of the police handing out fines to people that ride bikes without
              lights at night, they should be handing out more fines to people that dump
              their trash in streams and forests. This would force them to learn and obey the
              law. I think communism had alot to do with individual habits that we see today.
              Do you recall how polluted Katowice was only a few years ago? It's much better
              today due to stricter environmental controls.
                • ejmarkow Re: "Protect our planet... 24.05.06, 17:18
                  varsovian napisał:

> The local bylaws state you must have a refuse collection contract or you face
                  > a fine - that's a good coercive method.

Are those the bylaws for your gmina only, or is it applied throughout all of
                  Poland? In other words, is that law passed down to each gmina from a country-
                  wide stated law?

> Just needs applying.

That's the root of the problem, the application of those regulations.

Nie pamiętasz hasła

lub ?

Nie masz jeszcze konta? Zarejestruj się

Nakarm Pajacyka