Dodaj do ulubionych

Your favourite place/s :)

19.11.05, 23:12
Living in Warsaw (or any other place of Poland), I was wondering, what are
your favourite places to dine, spend free time or maybe where do you take
your friends when they visit you in Polandsmile?

I have lots of places where I love to 'chill out', so maybe we can share them
with eachother? smile

I recently discovered 'FABRYKA TRZCINY'. In the part of Warsaw which most
locals, let alone tourists, tend to avoid. Praga. Their loss!!!!!! smile)
This artistic complex on Otwocka Street is really something to be proud of, a
mix of old and new, it is a theater, a bar, a restaurant, a club and all
things in one. There are concerts, plays and plenty to do reallysmile))

I'm not sure if there is an English version, try here:
www.fabrykatrzciny.pl/index.php
Your turn!
Obserwuj wątek
    • usenetposts Re: Your favourite place/s :) 20.11.05, 00:02
      One of the places I like is the Moldavian restaurant on Ostrobramska, Villa
      Moldova. Because it is part of an unsightly commercial complex it looks a bit
      unsightly on the outside, and for that reason probably doesn't get the
      clientele it deserves.

Another place which has got a lot better recently but was always local to me
      from work is the Quchnia artystyczna in the palac Ujazdowski.

I also like the Grand Kredens on Al. Jerozolimskie, and Stas Tyminski's Radio
      Cafe round the corner from the British Consulate, and the Curry club place
      where Marszalkowska flies over Trasa Lazienkowska.

I used to like the restauracje polskie (one's behind Nowy Swiat and another is
      opposite the Russian embassy) but I got fed up with the cuisine after a while.
      Neither the menu nor the actual performance of the food lives up the the
      ambience. For ambience it is a good place, though.

The restaurant in the Rialto hotel is very good, and they pinched their noted
      chef from the Sheraton, but you can eat there a good deal cheaper than in the
      sheraton (which has a damn good American style bar, by the way) and across the
      way from the entrance to the rialto on Emilii Plater is the best Vietnamese in
      town, with a pleasant ambience, despite being in the middle of the red light
      district.

The Turkish on ul. Francuska is good but the restaurant is overpriced. The same
      people do the takeaway with a smaller cheaper restaurant a little up the road,
      and they are in the small minority where you can get proper Turkish food with
      lamb and not this chicken kebab rubbish.

I could go on and on. I should do a web page on it.

• waldek1610 any place where you can't find any Maggies........ 20.11.05, 10:27
      Maggie,
      Considering your conceited attitude I'm supried you still have any friends....

Being polish you are propalby aware that such attitude is shun upon in polish
      society, despite that you are unbearably arrogant...I'm almost certain you
      are "novobogackis" daughter who knows no limits in being spoiled to the bone.
          • russh Re: any place where you can't find any Maggies... 20.11.05, 13:13
            But Waldek, you've also got to know when enough is enough, and in this case,
            enough is more than enough. At least I've had enough, and I think, looking at
            the other posts throughout the various threads where you've put your remarks
            relating to Maggie, many other people have had enough. So, enough! Please.
              • russh Re: any place where you can't find any Maggies... 20.11.05, 14:03
                Maybe other people have a different view of the whole matter. Maybe other people
                have not been treated in the way that you feel you have been treated. Maybe
                other people just don't care.

The sure thing though Waldek, is that it's got too personal. We have all felt
                either victimised or maltreated in out lives. The secret is not to let it show,
                and get on with your life. If there is a problem, then rectify it if possible;
                if rectification is not possible, then it needs to be contained.

The bottom line is, from one who does not know either you or Maggie, that you
                need to forget it and loosen up. Life's difficult enough without extra baggage.

• waldek1610 Lack of integrity made Poland corruption capital. 21.11.05, 07:58
                  Perheaps if you and others had some integrity and reported wrongdoings Poland
                  would be much better off...

Anyways, thanks for good advice! I am glad that you took time to give it a
                  thought instead of telling me to "shut up" as others are anxcious to do just
                  that.

Just so you know, I want to add that I did comunicate directly to that person
                  via e-mail and it looks like she at least got the point, even thought she is
                  not capable to admit her shortcomings just yet.
                    • waldek1610 Re: Lack of integrity made Poland corruption cap 24.11.05, 09:26
                      usenetposts napisał:

> What does "integrity" mean for you, Waldek?
                      >

Integrity means; honesty, careing for others, be understanding, selfless and
                      cooperative, patriotic.

The oposite of "integrity" would be sinonimous with the polish term "prywata"
                      I'm sure you know what I mean, considering you live in Poland..
                      • usenetposts Re: Lack of integrity made Poland corruption cap 25.11.05, 01:58

You have given the word "integrity" a meaning it simply doesn't have in the
                        English language.

To an Englishman, patriotism is the last refuge of someone slightly different
                        to the man of integrity.

Integrity means effectively taking responsibility for your words and your
                        actions, rather than shifting the blame to other people.

It doesn't necessarily mean being selfless and altrusitic, but it would
                        preclude pretending to be selfless and altruistic and then not being that when
                        the chips are down.

The problem is the word has no equivalent in Polish, and the Polish mind has no
                        sense of it, and confuses it with other noble concepts.
                        • waldek1610 Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 07:44
                          usenetposts napisał:

> You have given the word "integrity" a meaning it simply doesn't have in the
                          > English language.
                          > Integrity means effectively taking responsibility for your words and your
                          > actions, rather than shifting the blame to other people.

...That would be same as honesty, I mean "taking responsibility for your
                          words/actions, and not blaming others" and "honesty"...Same thing.
                          That's why they call it interpreting not translating, because each culture has
                          its own way of perception, I thought you would know that...Learning foreign
                          language is not all, because the difference is in sociolinguistics.

> The problem is the word has no equivalent in Polish, and the Polish mind has
                          > no sense of it, and confuses it with other noble concepts.

Wrong, "integrity" the word used by military, governement and on personal level
                          has its unique equivalent in polish word "honor"... "Slowo honoru" means keep
                          ones promise, or pleage to be honest. Don't confuse it with english
                          world "honor" as in "great honour" which means to be delighted by distinction.
                          • ianek70 Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 09:58
                            waldek1610 napisał:

> Wrong, "integrity" the word used by military, governement and on personal
                            level
                            >
                            > has its unique equivalent in polish word "honor"... "Slowo honoru" means keep
                            > ones promise, or pleage to be honest. Don't confuse it with english
                            > world "honor" as in "great honour" which means to be delighted by distinction.

"Honour" in English can correspond to both "honor" and "zaszczyt".
                            "I give you my word of honour", "It was a great honour"
                          • russh Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 10:34
                            Hi Waldek,

It's me, chucking in my two ha'pence worth, as I'm an Englishman as well (by the
                            way, there is no such thing as a Britishman, although there are Englishmen,
                            Scotsmen, Welshmen and Irishmen, God bless them all; the term would be a
                            'Briton', or in foreign speak 'Britisher').

You originally attributed to the word 'integrity'; 'honesty', 'careing for
                            others', 'be understanding', 'selfless and cooperative', 'patriotic'.

The only one of the above that is correct is honesty; but integrity means more
                            than honesty (which means not given to lying, cheating, stealing; being fair and
                            just).

Integrity also has a strong moral connotation, which is why Dave gave his
                            simplistic (for non-native digestion) interpretation as 'Integrity means
                            effectively taking responsibility for your words and your actions, rather than
                            shifting the blame to other people'.

He then went on to explain why 'selfless & cooperative' are not synonyms of
                            integrity, although the pretence of being so, not consequently backed up by such
                            actions when required, would cause one to lack integrity.

I have no comment regarding the lack of a Polish equivalent (not being a Polish
                            speaker), but would add that honour (the English spelling) and integrity are in
                            effect synonymous, although they are often differentiated in specific
                            circumstances (i.e. there are times one would use 'honour or honourable' and not
                            integrity, and vice-versa).

I hope to have cleared up any misunderstanding that you may have had with the above.

Yours sincerely

Sir Humphrey
                            • waldek1610 Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 11:24
                              russh napisał:

> Hi Waldek,
                              >
                              > It's me, chucking in my two ha'pence worth, as I'm an Englishman as well (by
                              th
                              > e
                              > way, there is no such thing as a Britishman, although there are Englishmen,
                              > Scotsmen, Welshmen and Irishmen, God bless them all; the term would be a
                              > 'Briton', or in foreign speak 'Britisher').

Come on Russh, you expect too much from non-britons. How in the world would
                              someone in Poland or say; China... memorize all regional ethnicities that make
                              up United Kindom? For the same reason I don't say to foreighers that
                              I'm "Mazovian"...

As far as your discourse on "integrity", everybody has slightly different
                              definition of such.
                              • ianek70 Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 12:20
                                waldek1610 napisał:

> Come on Russh, you expect too much from non-britons. How in the world would
                                > someone in Poland or say; China... memorize all regional ethnicities that
                                make
                                > up United Kindom? For the same reason I don't say to foreighers that
                                > I'm "Mazovian"...

I think the main reason you don't tell people you're a "Mazovian" is that your
                                region doesn't have it's own history, language(s), culture, parliament, church,
                                legal and educational systems, banknotes, football team, etc. "Mazovia", as far
                                as I know, isn't even recognised as a country by the Vatican and hasn't fought
                                very many wars against Poland.
                                I could be wrong...
                                But I'm not.
                                • waldek1610 Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 12:32
                                  ianek70 napisał:

> I think the main reason you don't tell people you're a "Mazovian" is that
                                  your
                                  > region doesn't have it's own history, language(s), culture, parliament,
                                  church,
                                  >
                                  > legal and educational systems, banknotes, football team, etc. "Mazovia", as
                                  far
                                  >
                                  > as I know, isn't even recognised as a country by the Vatican and hasn't
                                  fought
                                  > very many wars against Poland.
                                  > I could be wrong...
                                  > But I'm not.

Ok, but who cares about past tense, there's little chances that Wales or
                                  Scotland will be independent in the future so why bother. Britiain is small
                                  coutry after all, although still quite significant as a whole. Still its parts
                                  are only regions, and not legitimate entities so why put them on the par with
                                  other nations-states?
                                  • ianek70 Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 12:41
                                    waldek1610 napisał:

> Ok, but who cares about past tense, there's little chances that Wales or
                                    > Scotland will be independent in the future so why bother.

Borrow yourself a grammar book, learn the difference between past and present
                                    tenses, then read my post again.
                                    On the other hand, as a "Mazovian" you obviously know a lot more about Scotland
                                    and Wales than, for example, Scottish or Welsh people.
                                      • russh Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 25.11.05, 13:15
                                        Ian is saying learn the difference between 'has' (present tense) and 'had' (past
                                        tense).

Scotland has all of the things Ian mentioned, and Wales many of them (strangely
                                        the only country not to have its own parliament is England - notwithstanding
                                        Northern Ireland which sometimes has.

The level of independence is significant, especially in Scotland, and is not
                                        likely to be retracted (in fact many of the powers of autonomy in Scotland have
                                        only been given recently).

The population of the two countries (they are countries and not areas or regions
                                        etc.) are 5 million (Scotland) & 3 million (Wales). Compare these to Luxemburg -

I believe (or at least hope) that I can speak for the majority of Britons when I
                                        say that we are proud to be British, and proud to be 'English' / 'Scottish', /
                                        'Welsh' / 'Irish'.

May it long continue, and never be further regionalised by the EC (another topic
                                        methinks).
                                        • waldek1610 Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 26.11.05, 07:26
                                          russh napisał:

> Scotland has all of the things Ian mentioned, and Wales many of them
                                          (strangely
                                          > the only country not to have its own parliament is England .

That does not make much sense my friend; "England is the only county (in UK)
                                          that doesn't have parliment"????

UK is a country..... and England is just a state, land or region. I know that
                                          British folks feel as a sort of special union of nation, a commonwealth. But
                                          hte fact is that UK is a country and England is just a one of the national
                                          entities that make up the Great Britain.

• russh Re: Polish word for integrity is "honor" (ho-nor) 26.11.05, 10:17
                                            Wrong.

Do not ever say that England is a state. You are quite wrong.

I said quite clearly on my previous post that there are 3 distinct countries
                                            (although it may be argued that Wales is a principality) that form Great
                                            Britain. They have never been, and I hope never will be, states.

They are for other nations and peoples. We are British, and proud to be English,
                                            Scottish or Welsh.
                                            • waldek1610 England and Bavaria is the "second division"...... 26.11.05, 10:56
                                              russh napisał:

> Wrong.
                                              >
                                              > Do not ever say that England is a state. You are quite wrong.

Russh,
                                              Great Britain is made up of different nationalities; English, Welsh, Scottish,
                                              Nothern Irland (Loyalists)that's true. But on international stage there's only
                                              UK and Germany, it doesn't matter that England and Bavaria has its own
                                              parliments and premiers.

I know that in footbal UK is represented by 4 different teams, but that is due
                                              to the UK's contribution in develepment of that game, hence you have several
                                              not just one soccer team. Politics though is quite different case.

• waldek1610 Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 26.11.05, 12:56
                                                  russh napisał:

> Who's talking about politics.
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm talking about something far more important to a person - his identity.
                                                  >

Russh,
                                                  I understand you position, I'm not sure wheather you're English or Welsh, but
                                                  this is a problem that you deal with when nations bunch up together. That's why
                                                  Soviet Union broke up so Ukrainians and Estonians can upgrade itself to the
                                                  nation- state status and be on the par with other european nations such France
                                                  or Italy.

Why is then UK not disintegrating if people, do not have common British
                                                  identity, but prefer to identify itself with its national origin?
                                                  • russh Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 26.11.05, 14:04
                                                    Waldek, it's something that you will not be able to understand, and I haven't
                                                    the patience to wait.

Firstly you have to remember the history of GB, and how long ago it was created.
                                                    The other countries you have talked about are kids in comparison.

Seccondly, it's all in what I said on one of my earlier posts - We're proud to
                                                    be British, and English / Scottish / Welsh / Irish.

There is no other comparison - stop looking for it.
                                                  • waldek1610 You can't have it all my friend :) 27.11.05, 07:50
                                                    russh napisał:

> Seccondly, it's all in what I said on one of my earlier posts - We're proud to
                                                    > be British, and English / Scottish / Welsh / Irish.
                                                    > There is no other comparison - stop looking for it.

How about "power"? You want to hold on to your "english,welsh, etc...
                                                    identity", but at the same time you want to enjoy benefits streaming from Great
                                                    Britain's international influence..

Did I hit the nail right on the head?
                                                  • usenetposts Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 26.11.05, 18:18
                                                    waldek1610 napisał:

> russh napisał:
                                                    >
                                                    > > Who's talking about politics.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I'm talking about something far more important to a person - his identity
                                                    > .
                                                    > >
                                                    >
                                                    > Russh,
                                                    > I understand you position, I'm not sure wheather you're English or Welsh, but
                                                    > this is a problem that you deal with when nations bunch up together. That's
                                                    why
                                                    >
                                                    > Soviet Union broke up so Ukrainians and Estonians can upgrade itself to the
                                                    > nation- state status and be on the par with other european nations such
                                                    France
                                                    > or Italy.
                                                    >
                                                    > Why is then UK not disintegrating if people, do not have common British
                                                    > identity, but prefer to identify itself with its national origin?

You are begging the question.

The UK is of course disintegrating. We had sizeable amounts of power devolved
                                                    to each of the local areas in devolution, it will only be a matter of time
                                                    before Northern Ireland is devolved to Southern Ireland. I would certainly
                                                    expect that to happen in my lifetime, and the EU is pursuing a policy of giving
                                                    power and funding more at a constituency level than at a national level.

British is what keeps us together with a nation with, for instance, the British
                                                    moslims. If a person is an ex-Pakistani Moslim or a Moslim with a British and a
                                                    Pakistani passport, then he is as British as I am, as this is a piece of paper,
                                                    giving him that right the same as mine gives me that right. But he is not -
                                                    unless he fully adapts himself to our way of life and thought and becomes the
                                                    same as the English - as English as I am, even if I live in Poland.

So the British people include the British Moslems living in England, of whom
                                                    there are millions, and of these the actual English Muslims will be a small
                                                    amount, as it is not usual for an Englishman to convert to Islam.

When we emphasise Englishness, we refer to the English as a people, which is
                                                    why everyone starts getting offended at that when they don't get offended when
                                                    people say "Sottish", "Welsh" etc. Tough. The English are also a people, and
                                                    not a people who have anything particular to be ashamed of, since along with
                                                    our mistakes we also gave the world a great deal.

If someone is offended with the English people, I just say I'm very sorry, but
                                                    bollocks to yer. We didn't get put here to pat your little heads.

I hope this helps.
                                                  • ianek70 Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 26.11.05, 19:47
                                                    usenetposts napisał:

> it will only be a matter of time
                                                    > before Northern Ireland is devolved to Southern Ireland.
                                                    > I would certainly
                                                    > expect that to happen in my lifetime, and the EU is pursuing a policy of
                                                    giving
                                                    >
                                                    > power and funding more at a constituency level than at a national level.

Northern Ireland won't be given to the Republic, no matter how historically
                                                    just, or how comfortable that would be for the British state. But that's
                                                    another story.

> British is what keeps us together with a nation with, for instance, the
                                                    British
                                                    >
                                                    > moslims. If a person is an ex-Pakistani Moslim or a Moslim with a British and
                                                    a
                                                    >
                                                    > Pakistani passport, then he is as British as I am, as this is a piece of
                                                    paper,
                                                    >
                                                    > giving him that right the same as mine gives me that right. But he is not -
                                                    > unless he fully adapts himself to our way of life and thought and becomes the
                                                    > same as the English - as English as I am, even if I live in Poland.
                                                    >
                                                    > So the British people include the British Moslems living in England, of whom
                                                    > there are millions, and of these the actual English Muslims will be a small
                                                    > amount, as it is not usual for an Englishman to convert to Islam.
                                                    >
                                                    > When we emphasise Englishness, we refer to the English as a people, which is
                                                    > why everyone starts getting offended at that when they don't get offended
                                                    when
                                                    > people say "Sottish", "Welsh" etc. Tough. The English are also a people, and
                                                    > not a people who have anything particular to be ashamed of, since along with
                                                    > our mistakes we also gave the world a great deal.
                                                    >
                                                    > If someone is offended with the English people, I just say I'm very sorry,
                                                    but
                                                    > bollocks to yer. We didn't get put here to pat your little heads.

The English have as much right to be English as the Germans have to be German
                                                    or the Kurds to be Kurdish.
                                                    You don't choose where you're born, and only an arse is proud or ashamed of the
                                                    accomplishments of people who died before he was born, but who lived within a
                                                    few hundred miles of his house or spoke the same language. Lots of heavy shit
                                                    happened in Scotland, lots of funky things were invented, but I'm entirely
                                                    innocent on both counts.
                                                    This I think warrants a new thread, which I'll start in a minute after I've
                                                    ironed my kilt and scratched my bahookey.
                                                  • usenetposts Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 26.11.05, 20:37
                                                    Ian, they will have a referendum, and if the majority are in favour of uniting
                                                    with the Irish Republic, then we will certainly enable them to leave, since
                                                    that was always the argument we used for retaining them, and it cost our tax
                                                    payers a good deal of money to retain them, as they cost us more in taxes than
                                                    they raised in their own taxes, in Ulster.

The Republic do not even require a referendum to accept them, as the
                                                    unification of Ireland is enshrined in their constitution. The whole deal done
                                                    between London and Dublin that keeps the two nations friendly at government
                                                    level is exactly the open secret, that they will get the province one day.
                                                  • russh Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 26.11.05, 21:54
                                                    Re the regions being created by the EU. The majority of the English are not
                                                    aware yet as to what is happening. The politicians of all parties have kept it
                                                    quite - why, I can't fathom out.

I think that when it fully gets out, there will be an absolute furore, and I
                                                    think may end in GB leaving the EU unless there is a turn around.

This probably deserves another thread, which I'll leave you to start if you
                                                    want, as it may get very complex.

PS. I'm fairly anti EU. Was a great believer in the original idea of a free
                                                    trade block, and the opening up of frontiers for free movement of people &
                                                    goods, but have always been against the politicising of it, for practical
                                                    reasons; it cannot and will not ever work properly. What they are trying to do
                                                    now is achieve their political aims via the back door. Stealth, as the anti
                                                    Brown brigade would say.
                                                  • waldek1610 Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 27.11.05, 08:09
                                                    I don't believe that western style democracy and Islam is reconslilable. To me
                                                    muslims who live in UK or France want "freedom" to...... control others (read;
                                                    muslim wives). This is oxi-moron to me.
                                                    I think its much easier for Englishman who is "Anglican" to thrive in roman
                                                    catholic country such as Poland, than for example; For Pakistani Muslim to
                                                    embrace Protestant culture...

As a catholic I can still fit in the Christian denominational USA, but a muslim
                                                    in proud french capital of Paris..that my friend it is a suiside. Don't mess
                                                    with french because they are proud!
                                                  • waldek1610 Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 27.11.05, 11:13
                                                    I think the bottom line is; you respect the laws of the host country...The end.
                                                    While in USA I make an effort to adapt while respecting legacy of my
                                                    motherland.

It get's tougher when in order to respect their fatherland, (Muslims) have to
                                                    disresect and disecrate laws of their adapted land.(UK or France)...
                                                  • russh Re: England and Bavaria is the "second division". 27.11.05, 13:22
                                                    I think the rules of the game should be very clear.

Adapt and be very tolerant of the host countries culture and traditions, or go.

If not, then there will be trouble.

Currently, it is the British people that are having to adapt to the Muslim e.g.
                                                    not having any pig statues or ornaments in view, as it offends; banning of
                                                    Nativity plays in schools as they may offend; banning of christmas lights as
                                                    they offend; allowing differential dress in schools where the school uniform is
                                                    still worn, on religious grounds. Etc. Etc.

I assume it is similar in France (apart from the dress code in school), but have
                                                    no first-hand knowledge.

No wonder that there are problems.
                                            • ianek70 Statehood und Klasówka 26.11.05, 15:17
                                              russh napisał:

> I said quite clearly on my previous post that there are 3 distinct countries
                                              > (although it may be argued that Wales is a principality) that form Great
                                              > Britain. They have never been, and I hope never will be, states.

Yes, they have. They were separate states until 1707 (Wales, obviously, a bit
                                              earlier). Before 844, Scotland consisted of 4 different states, on average, and
                                              even after that things were complicated. The fact that the new Scottish
                                              parliament changed so little shows how loose the connection between state and
                                              nation is (Poles in 19th Century Prussia, Austro-Hungary and Russia all spoke
                                              Polish and had the same moustaches).

> They are for other nations and peoples. We are British, and proud to be
                                              English
                                              > ,
                                              > Scottish or Welsh.

I don't call myself British but it's a geographical and bureaucratic fact that
                                              I am, it says so on my passport. Scots live in a small country and are aware of
                                              that, but few Scots would consider the English foreign, and just as few would
                                              consider the Irish foreign, although they live in a different state. I've never
                                              been to Wales, so I'd never die in battle for them, but I could say the same
                                              about Aberdeen.
                                              People who call themselves British aren't usually from Britain, but from
                                              Gibraltar or Ulster. And I respect that as well.

Vocabulary test for Waldek "Mogę się uważać ekspertem w obu językach" 1610:
                                              A person who claims to know more about places he's never been to, than the
                                              people who come from those places is called a:
                                              a) genius
                                              b) bookworm
                                              c) gobshite
    • kylie1 Re: Your favourite place/s :) 20.11.05, 22:29
      Interesting web site Maggie! And what is it on the menu that you would
      personally suggest? Moneywise is not too bad, I guess...the most expensive item
      being 72zl is about $24 Canadian...not cheap but still very much within reason.
      First I thought I was reading the menu backwards when I looked at the blue
      herring, deer and goat meat. It must be all for a very refined and elegant
      palate, I suppose.

smile
      • usenetposts Re: Your favourite place/s :) 21.11.05, 00:40
        kylie1 napisała:

> Interesting web site Maggie! And what is it on the menu that you would
        > personally suggest? Moneywise is not too bad, I guess...the most expensive
        item
        >
        > being 72zl is about $24 Canadian...not cheap but still very much within
        reason.
        > First I thought I was reading the menu backwards when I looked at the blue
        > herring, deer and goat meat. It must be all for a very refined and elegant
        > palate, I suppose.
        >
        > smile

That's on the expensive side for that side of Warsaw, though.

It's possoble to pay a good deal more in the old town, and not eat that well
        either.

An exception is the restaurant "Sekret" where Jezuicka climbs into the Old Town
        square. That place is actually pretty good, not overly dear, and the ambiance
        is unique and very fine. The food is good, which is not usual for the old town.
        • kylie1 Re: Your favourite place/s :) 21.11.05, 01:58
          Right, when we compare prices, we have to remind ourselves that it's all
          relative to the exchange and the way we price things in your or my country. It
          still sounds pretty darn fancy to me. Is the herring blue because it went
          bad... smilesmile

> It's possoble to pay a good deal more in the old town, and not eat that well
          > either.

I know. There are certain places I have seen that serve a second course suited
          for a chipmunk. Say, it consists of one new potatoe (the size of a grape) with
          two julienne carrot slices and a portion of meat no bigger than a square inch.
          It's all splashed with some sherry based fancy cream sauce...and I don't think
          it's ketchup... smile
          I think I like it more down to earth where I actually get to eat something and
          I also get a good mileage out of my dollar. It's nice if you can find a
          reasonably priced place with good quality food and you are not hungry when you
          leave.
          I absoltely love perogies and cabbage rolls and all that kind of comfort food,
          Maggie. I did go to "bar mleczny" with my mother (Bless her) when I was still a
          little squirt. I remember that fondly. I really do. I wonder if Poland today
          still has Bar mleczny or is it all a thing of the past gone together with the
          communist era?
          If I go back to my old country and they are still there, I swear, it will be
          the first joint I am gonna hit. They are so yum!

smile
          • beti751 Re: Your favourite place/s :) 27.11.05, 21:09
            there is Bar Mleczny (yes, few relicts from the past survived wink on
            Marszalkowska street somewhere between Litewska street and Plac Unii Lubelskiej..
            They have very good 'kopytka' - saved me a number of times smile And you can meet a
            real variety of people there: students, older people, beggars who just recieved
            a few zloty from compassionate people, nearby Ministry of foreign affairs and
            Ministry of Justice 'urzednicy' (public servants/public officers? - sorry, but I
            really do not know the proper word in English).. And the 'atmosphere' - well, I
            do not think that much has changed since the time when the local was opened smile
      • nasza_maggie Re: Your favourite place/s :) 21.11.05, 01:12
        kylie1 napisała:

> Interesting web site Maggie! And what is it on the menu that you would
        > personally suggest?

Why the desserts Kylie!!!
        Honestly! There was som much to choose from, it took us all ages!

Moneywise is not too bad, I guess...the most expensive item
        >
        > being 72zl is about $24 Canadian...not cheap but still very much within
        reason.

It is quite expensive - especially for this part of Warsaw. Which is why I'm
        not there often. Last time was a very special occasion, a treat so to speaksmile
        Ever been in a BAR MLECZNY, Kylie?smile))

> First I thought I was reading the menu backwards when I looked at the blue
        > herring, deer and goat meat. It must be all for a very refined and elegant
        > palate, I suppose.
        >
        > smile

Well, not everything! You have the kotlety, pierogi and golabki toosmile)))
    • nasza_maggie Re: Your favourite place/s :) 28.11.05, 14:47
      I also forgot to mention, the garden on top of the Warsaw University (BUW)
      building on ul.Dobra.
      buwcd.buw.uw.edu.pl/english/obuw_eng/ogrod_eng.htm

Ofcourse, it is probably closed at this time of year but as soon as spring
      emerges I reccomend for a nice chill outsmile

Popularne wątki

Nie pamiętasz hasła

lub ?

Nie masz jeszcze konta? Zarejestruj się

Nakarm Pajacyka