Gość: !!!
IP: 195.152.54.*
20.06.03, 08:22
‘Dodgy dossier’ student wants apology
WILLIAM TINNING
AN American student whose work was plagiarised by Downing Street to produce
the so-called "dodgy dossier" on Iraq yesterday demanded an apology from the
government.
His demand came on the same day Pentagon defence officials announced plans to
send 30,000 international peacekeepers to Iraq within three months to prevent
the country sliding into anarchy.
Ibrahim al-Marashi, a Californian PhD student, told the Commons foreign
affairs committee the "reckless" use of his work by Downing Street, without
his consent, could have put at risk the lives of his family still living in
Iraq.
Intelligence agencies were reportedly furious over the affair.
The document - released last February, a month before the war with Iraq
began - gave the impression that openly available material had come from
secret sources.
Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair's communications director, was forced to write
to the heads of the agencies assuring them new procedures had been put in
place to prevent any repetition of the episode.
Dr al-Marashi told the committee that, five months on, he had not been
contacted by anyone in the government to explain what had happened or
apologise. "It could have had disastrous effects on my family back home. I
think the personal stress I have gone through, the least they could have done
was to offer me an apology."
In Iraq, a US soldier was killed and two others wounded in a rocket-propelled
grenade attack, bringing to 52 the number of US personnel killed since George
W Bush declared on May 1 that war with Iraq was over.
‘Dodgy dossier’ student wants apology
WILLIAM TINNING
AN American student whose work was plagiarised by Downing Street to produce
the so-called "dodgy dossier" on Iraq yesterday demanded an apology from the
government.
His demand came on the same day Pentagon defence officials announced plans to
send 30,000 international peacekeepers to Iraq within three months to prevent
the country sliding into anarchy.
Ibrahim al-Marashi, a Californian PhD student, told the Commons foreign
affairs committee the "reckless" use of his work by Downing Street, without
his consent, could have put at risk the lives of his family still living in
Iraq.
Intelligence agencies were reportedly furious over the affair.
The document - released last February, a month before the war with Iraq
began - gave the impression that openly available material had come from
secret sources.
Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair's communications director, was forced to write
to the heads of the agencies assuring them new procedures had been put in
place to prevent any repetition of the episode.
Dr al-Marashi told the committee that, five months on, he had not been
contacted by anyone in the government to explain what had happened or
apologise. "It could have had disastrous effects on my family back home. I
think the personal stress I have gone through, the least they could have done
was to offer me an apology."
In Iraq, a US soldier was killed and two others wounded in a rocket-propelled
grenade attack, bringing to 52 the number of US personnel killed since George
W Bush declared on May 1 that war with Iraq was over.