jan.latus
22.07.05, 16:26
Dla tych b. nielicznych "zaaklimatyzowanych", co troche rozumieja angielski:
The BBC carried an extraordinary eyewitness account of this morning's latest
London terror incident.
"I got into the ticket hall. I was approached by a policeman and London
underground staff asked me if I needed counselling. I was basically
saying, 'I've just seen a man shot dead'," Mark Whitby told News 24's Philip
Hayton just minutes after the incident at Stockwell tube station in south
London.
"As he got on to the train I looked at his face. He looked sort of left and
right, but he basically looked like a cornered rabbit, a cornered fox. He
looked absolutely petrified and then as I say he sort of tripped, but they
were hotly pursuing him.
"They couldn't have been no more than two or three feet behind him at this
time and he half tripped and was half pushed to the floor and the policeman
nearest to me had a black automatic pistol in his left hand. He held it down
to the guy and unloaded five shots into him."
Sky News cut from its Stockwell coverage just after 11am to a pre-planned
studio debate hosted by Kay Burley with a Muslim audience in Birmingham,
running a breaking newsflash at the bottom of the screen, as other channels
showed rolling news coverage of the latest London terrorism story.
BBC News 24 and ITV News Channel quickly broadcast traffic camera footage of
Stockwell tube station, scene of this morning's police shooting, while Sky
News continued with its pre-scheduled debate fronted by Kay Burley.
The BBC's rolling news channel began covering the Stockwell incident at
10.40am and BBC1 switched to a simulcast of News 24 at 10.57am, initially for
half an hour.
While BBC and ITV had traffic camera footage of Stockwell station Sky News
was relying on a graphic of the area in question, phone interviews with
eyewitnesses and correspondent Martin Brunt outside Scotland Yard.
ITV News' Alastair Stewart cut from his regular morning show at 10.12am to go
a journalist in the field, saying there were reports of a security alert at
Stockwell.
This was followed immediately by an eyewitness account from a reporter on the
scene of the incident in south London.
For the BBC, transport correspondent Tom Symonds and a film crew were the
first to arrive at Stockwell, and found Mr Whitby.
Sky News' correspondent Martin Popplewell filed phone reports from Stockwell
and the broadcaster carried its first footage from the scene just before
midday.
Sky News ran its first breaking news flash on the incident at 10.36am. The
channel later moved its Birmingham debate to its Sky News Active red button
service to focus fully on the Stockwell story.