s4
17.07.05, 08:00
Pozwole sobie przytoczyc ciekawe porownanie kogos, kto testowal wszystkie (liczace sie) modele z
napedem na cztery kola przed wybraniem A6 3.2 Naprawde interesujace uwagi, moga sie przydac
niektorym.
************************************
This was a difficult decision to make, and I spent weeks comparing and test-driving to narrow down
my choice. I finally went with the A6 but not without alot of angst. The other cars I considered were:
Acura RL, BMW 530xi, Infiniti M35x, Lexus GS300 AWD, and the Mercedes E350.
Acura RL: Great car on paper, but didn't quite feel up to task. The interior was really comfortable
(great seats, nice layout) and had nice toys (awe-inspiring stereo, XM traffic was suprisingly accurate
and useful), but didn't feel "luxury" (like a really nice Honda). The exterior likewise looks nothing
special. The drive was rather weak, with lots of body roll and the engine definitely lacked low-end
torque. Great price though, nothing was lower. A family cruiser in my opinion, but a great one.
BMW 530xi: first thing that struck me was how ugly the interior was. The wood look plasticky, and
the double-hump was awful. The exterior looks really sharp in certain colors, but weird in others.
Had most of the toys found in this class, but controlled with the hell-spawned iDrive (I drove a 745
for 2 weeks, and still couldn't fully use the navigation... and I know how the use computers). The car
is expensive too, with the options really skyrocketing the price. Still, BMW does what it does best.
The drive was fantastic. Feels like a smaller car, the way it moves through the curves you can't help
but smile. The power was a bit weak but smooth delivery. I have to say that nothing I drove came
that close to the driving feel of the 530xi. But since I'm not going to be racing everyday, I ruled this
one out.
Infiniti M35x: I really wanted to like this car. I was excited before I went to the dealership, but left
with it off my list. The exterior looked pretty nice but nothing special (think Maxima). On the inside,
the car screams IKEA. Tries to be nice but ends up looking cheap, the worst of the class. Switches
pulled from Nissans, and the best wood laminate found off of elementary school desks. But the toys,
oh the toys. Cooling seats were simply sublime (you can actually feel them unlike the lexus and 745),
and the stereo almost made me forget about the wood panelling. Rear DVD entertainment and power
seats are great, but I'm not married so not a biggie for me. The driving felt nice, but not fun. Power
is there, cornering is mostly there, but somehow it lacked an ectasy feeling. It was also the noisiest
cabin, which you care about on long trips with your lady (or partner, to be PC). Value is the best in
this class. In the end the interior killed it. For this price I want to feel special, and this car doesn't do
it.
Lexus GS300: My second choice. Exterior looks like the Infiniti but had touches that gave it a better
feel. The interior was the most comfortable, with the best seats, best controls, and the best stereo
(maybe because a smaller space, but sounded better than my home theatre), but looked a bit plain.
DVD nav is easiest to use, but the screen resolution and display was grainy and not up to par. The
drive, well, flat-out sucked. Like a boat, a slow boat, though the track numbers in car magazine tests
say differently. Perhaps Lexus designed the ride this way, since I never felt a bump in the road and
the cabin was eerily quiet. Terrific value, just behind the Infiniti. Also, Lexus' reputation for quality
and reliabilty are a huge plus, considering how many problems are being found in other cars.
Mercedes E350: Dead last on my list. Price was exorbitant, like I was being mugged. You could skimp
on a couple options (which brings the price down alot), but should you have to in this class? Outside
was classy and sporty at the same time, the best looking in my opinion. The interior was also really
nice and rich. Had all the toys and then some, but the DVD navigation is horrible (screen too low,
input ackward). The drive was great, firm without being harsh, good power, good stability through
the curves. Have to put it right next to the BMW, and, for some who appreciate smoothness, above it.
But price just killed it, and the E350 I wanted was almost in A8 range.
Audi A6: The first time I looked at this car, I didn't really like it. The second time I fell in love with it.
Its all the little touches that makes this car the winner. Aluminum trim, solid switches, MMI
execution, soft lighting. The outside looks both flashy and plain, but I have to say just behind the E-
class and way past the others. Interiors are what Audi is known for, and this one blew the
competition out of the water. Nothing could touch it. Seats had that mysterior combination of instant
comfort with enough firmness for the long crusing. Layout was near perfect, only wishing the Nav
screen was bigger. Stereo was not outstanding to me, but others said it sounded good. Everyone is
impressed with the interior, though I really wish it had cooling seats and DVD-video playback. The
drive was great, but had its limits. I felt that it matched the BMW for 90% of the driving, but at the
extremes it just fell off. Not a super sports car, but a sports car nonetheless, and enough for just
about everyone. In the end, the style, the attention to detail, and being great (but not the best) in
every category won me over. Still, it was the winner by a hair.